Apply your focus
& intent to create
• About Us
• Art Meditation
• Contact Us
HLTH 502: Music in Obstetrics and Pediatrics
This 13 week course provides theory, application and practice in the process of applying music as a therapeutic intervention during pregnancy, childbirth, in postpartum, and with infants and children in pediatric settings. This course entails 39 instruction hours, equivalent in length to a standard 3 credit college course. Health Professionals earn earn 39 hours of CE credit from the State of California through our NILC site. Anyone is welcome to take this course.
Particular focus is given to the use of music to:
- enhance comfort and relaxation;
- simulate alpha brain wave patterns;
- facilitate breathing and control during labor;
- help to regulate neonatal behaviorial states;
- promote parental-infant reciprocity;
- enhance pain relief and healing;
- promote sleep;
- enhance learning.
Although this course is best done in thirteen weeks, learners are encouraged to approach the content in a self-paced, individualized way. One to one interaction with the course facilitator is a primary feature of this process. This course is done completely online from the comfort and privacy of your own home or office. All necessary written study materials are included in the course fee, including readings and downloadable manual and applicable worksheets. You may enroll at any time.
Additional supplies will be required to create specific music tapes and/or CDs including a reliable tape recorder or computer-based sound recording system; blank tapes or CDs; and a reliable microphone. For those who wish to create their own music or add other sounds to the tapes, access to musical instruments or computer software or hardware, or access to recordable nature sounds (such as ocean waves, the wind, rain falling, birds singing, and so on) will be needed.
This course is intended to provide the learner with the opportunity to:
- Comprehend basic music and sound theory, history, categories and components relevant to health and healing
- Understand and apply theory related to the physiological and pyschological effects of various types of music and sound
- Explore the dynamics of applying music and sound for pain relief and relaxation, energizing and balance
- Explore principles of using music in pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum and apply these to specific situations
- Engage in the process of creating health-promoting music and sound tapes and/or CDs for use in selected practice areas
- Explore the process of applying specific music and sounds in obstetric and pediatric contexts
- Create music and sound recordings for selected populations
- Practice applying music and sound with selected populations
- Apply, engage in and assess the utility of the selected music and sound resources created
Learners will be assessed using the following methods (both self and instructor evaluation):
Upon completion, learners will receive a Certificate of Completion for a 39 hour course.
- Personal Journal and Weekly Worksheets: 20%
- Music and Sound Application Exercises: 10%
- Major Therapeutic Music Project (recorded): 35%
- Music Project Application and Analysis: 25%
TOTAL TUITION: $249 USD which includes instruction, manual and worksheets. (see PROCESS above for further supplies needed).
Fee may be paid using PayPal, international money order or certified check.
Site is optimized for all browsers - for screen resolution 800x600 - for 16 bit or better color.
© June Kaminski, MSN, PhD Candidate- 2001 - 2012 -Healing Intent.com - All rights reserved.
Design by June Kaminski, Hygeia Design